Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Fabric Pinwheels!!!

I found this craft idea at Hobby Lobby.  If you want to go straight to the link it's at hobbylobby.com.  Once there click on the "Project Inspiration" button.  From there click on "List" underneath "Project Sheets (on the left).  The Project Sheet is called "Party Time".  This is what I did with it.  I'm making pinwheels for my son's birthday party.  They are decorative and can be given as party favors too!

Materials:
Cardstock Paper (If covering both sides with fabric, it doesn't matter the color)
Fabric
Glue (I used Fabric and Paper Glue)
Hot Glue
Eyelets
3/8" Wooden Dowel - Cut into 12" pieces
1/16" Wooden Dowl (I used 1/8" and they just don't spin as freely) - Cut into 2" pieces
Wooden Knob
Tole Paint
 If you want you can use brightly colored paper that matches your fabric and put fabric only on one side of paper (I used Sparkly paper for some of mine and they turned out cute).
Cut your fabric into squares (mine are about 10"x10")
Add a little water to your glue and using a paintbrush put glue on one side of your paper.  Be careful not to use too much glue or it will seep through your fabric.  If you are puting fabric on both sides of the paper, wait for the first side to dry (or mostly dry) before doing the other side.
 Using a pinwheel tablet (I got mine through that HobbyLobby website), trace the shape and cut it out.
 Make a little hole and put the eyelets in the center and at the end of all the legs of the pinwheel.
If you like, you can leave your wood the way it is, or you can paint it to match your fabric.  I painted all my wood pieces blue.  Hot Glue the smaller dowel piece into a wooden knob.
Folding the legs on top of each other put dowel through each eyelet.

 Drill a hole about 1/2" from the top of every large dowel and feed the smaller dowel through the hole.
Hot glue another knob to the back.
Pinwheel should spin freely. (This Pinwheel has fabric on both sides)

They are pretty easy to make!  If any of this was confusing for you, check it out through the Hobby Lobby website.  I just wanted to show a brief version of how I did it.  They are so cute and really fun!  Good Luck!!!

1 comment: